Office: 266 CSL (Mail Code: 228),
1308 W. Main Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: 217 333 7824 fax: 217 244 5685
Email: mitras AT illinois dot edu
Office: CSL 251, MC-228
Email: dlscott AT illinois dot edu
Phone: 217 244 7171
Sayan Mitra [CV]
Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Computer Engineering Group
Coordinated Science Laboratory
Affiliate Professor, Computer Science
Associate Director, Center for Autonomy
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
Research. Safe autonomy (e.g., self-driving cars, spacecraft, and drones), formal methods, distributed systems, programming languages, robotics.
Biosketch Sayan is a Professor of ECE and CS at UIUC. His research is on safe autonomy.
His research group develops theory, algorithms, and tools for control synthesis and verification. Some of these have been patented and are being commercialized. Several former PhD students are now professors: Taylor Johnson (Vanderbilt), Parasara Sridhar Duggirala (NC Chapel Hill), and Chuchu Fan (MIT). Sayan received his PhD
from MIT with Nancy Lynch.
His textbook on verification of cyber-physical systems was published by MIT press in 2021. The group's work has been recognized with NSF CAREER Award, AFOSR Young Investigator Research Program Award, ACM SRC gold prize, IEEE-HKN C. Holmes MacDonald Outstanding Teaching Award (2013), Siebel Fellowship, and several best paper awards.
recent publication highlights
- Verifying cyber-physical system: A path to safe autonomy. Mitra. MIT Press, 2021.
- Multi-agent safety verification using symmetry transformations. Sibai, Mokhlesi, Fan, and Mitra. TACAS 2020, Dublin.
- Koord: a language for programming and verifying distributed robotics applications. Ghosh, Hsieh, Misailovic, and Mitra, OOPSLA20.
- Fast and guaranteed safe controller synthesis. Fan, Miller, and Mitra, CAV 20
- Formal methods for safe autonomy: Data-driven verification, synthesis, and applications Chuchu Fan , PhD thesis. Winner of ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2020!
- Entropy and minimal bit rates for state estimation & model detection. Liberzon and Mitra, IEEE TAC 2018.
- Probabilistic programming and verification for autonomous systems (NSF)
- Safety of autonomous and learning enabled control systems (Boeing)
- Resilience of cyber-physical systems (NSA SoS lablet)
- Software defined control for smart manufacturing (NSF CPS Frontiers)
- CyPhyHouse: A programming environment for distributed robotics (NSF)
- Entropy and Optimal Communication for Hybrid Systems (AFOSR)
- Privacy Aware Congestion Control in Cyber-Physical Networks (NSF)
- ECE/CS498SM: Principles of Safe Autonomy, Spring 2020, Fall 2020 (New and improved!)
- ECE/CS584: Embedded System Verification: Fall 2019
- ECE/CS498SM: Principles of Safe Autonomy, Spring 2019 (New!)
- ECE220: Intro. to Computing II: Spring 2021, Fall 2018, Fall 2017, Fall 2016, Spring 2015
- ECE/CS584: Embedded System Verification: Fall 2017, Spring 2016, Fall 2015
- GRAIC: Autonomous racing framework
- FACTEST: Controller synthesis framework
- C2E2: Verification system for simulink/stateflow
- DryVR: Formal reasoning + learning + black-box simulations + autonomous vehicles
- CyPhyHouse: A programming environment for distributed robotics
- Yubin Koh
- Ben Yang
- Aditya Gupta
- Yixuan Jia
- Hussein Sibai (ECE 2021, now postdoc at UC Berkeley)
- Ritwika Ghosh (CS 2020, now at Bodo.ai)
- Chuchu Fan (PhD ECE 2019, now at MIT Assistant Professor)
- Zhenqi Huang (PhD ECE 2016, now at Zoox)
- Sridhar Duggirala (PhD CS 2015, co-advised M. Viswanathan, now Assistant Prof. at UNC Chapel Hill)
- Taylor Johnson (PhD ECE 2013, now Assistant Prof. at Vanderbilt U.)
- Minghao Jiang (ECE 2021, now at Zoox)
- Mokhlesi, Navid (ECE 2021, now at Apple)
- Tianqi (Ted) Liu (ECE 2020, now at Jump)
- Matthew Potok (MS ECE 2018, now at Aurora Flight Sciences)
- Bolun Qi (MS CS 2018, now at Facebook)
- Nicole Chan (MS ECE 2018, now at Pilot AI)
- Complete alumni list
- Yifeng Ni
- Arnab Datta
- Peter Leung
- Rong Zhou Li
- Daniel Hernandez
- Complete alumni list
program and steering committees
- Elected Vice-chair of SIGBED (2022--)
- ICCPS 2022 (Co-chair with Nalini Venkatasubramanian), HOTSOS 2022 , L4DC 2022
- ICCPS 2021
- Steering committee member of HSCC (2020--)
- CAV 2020, RTSS 2020, ICCPS 2020
- ICCPS 2019, HOTSOS2019
- HSCC2018, ICCPS2018, QEST2018, HOTSOS2018, DISC 2018
- QEST 2017 EMSOFT 2017 ICCPS 2017 HSCC 2017 (Co-chair with Goran Frehse)
- HSCC 2016, ARCH 2016, CAV (ERC) 2016
- HSCC 2015, QEST 2015, ARCH 2015, LCTES 2015
- HiCons 2014, ARCH 2014, QEST 2014
- HSCC 2013, ICCPS 2013, SSS 2013
- SSS 2012, RSS 2012, HSCC 2012
- CPSWeek 2011, HSCC 2011